How to Apply for a F-1 Student Visa

Obtain an I-20 form

If you are applying to Olympic College from overseas, you must apply as a full-time student. Upon acceptance, a completed I-20 form will be sent to you. This document is required when you apply for a student visa (F-1). Submit it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You must apply for a visa within 90 days of the admitted quarter date (indicated on Section 5 on the I-20 form).

How to obtain an F-1 visa in your home country:

  • Review your I-20 for accuracy. Read the 'Important Notices for All F-1 Visa Holders!' sheet carefully.
  • Visit the website of the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in your home country.
  • Obtain an original bank statement to submit to the U.S. Embassy.

Prepare yourself for a prompt interview by an embassy or consulate official. You should be able to answer the following questions in English. The typical interview time is usually between two to three minutes in length.

  • Why did you choose to study at Olympic College?
  • What are you going to study at Olympic College?
  • What are your academic and career plans?

Things to avoid when applying for an F-1 visa

  •     Show interest in finding a job.
  •     Falsifying information and documents.

Prepare for the Interview

Here are some examples of questions that the visa officer may ask you during your interview. You should answer honestly and as completely as you possibly can.

If You are Denied a Visa

If You are Denied a Visa

If your visa request is denied, politely ask the visa officer why the application was denied. Also ask when you may reapply for a student visa. Please send an email to the Olympic College Office of International Education immediately and describe the details of the denial. We can write a letter of support to present to the visa officer during the second interview. The letter does not guarantee approval, but may clarify points of possible misunderstanding and again confirm your acceptance to Olympic College.

Student & Exchange Visitor Information

In 2004, Congress mandated all nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors must pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee, which funds the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). This fee is separate from visa fees and school SEVIS administration fees. For more info and contact information, visit the SEVP webpage. 

SEVP Webpage